LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA

LEGAL ENGLISH IN RUSSIA
The main aim of this blog is to discuss matters of interest to Russian speakers who work with and draft legal documents in English, based on my experience of working as a legal editor, translator and English solicitor in a prominent Russian law firm.













29 December 2013

Ten New Year quotations

So it's nearly New Year, and towards the end of the current year I've been a little slack with this blog. Work and the Christmas celebrations have ensured I haven't posted for more than a couple of weeks. I'll try to be a little more conscientious in the New Year, but in the meantime I'll add a couple of posts to end 2013. The first of them has a seasonal theme in that I've just been online for some quotations with a New Year theme and have picked a random selection of ten that appealed to me.

“For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.” ~ T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets

"Now there are more overweight people in America than average-weight people. So overweight people are now average. Which means you've met your New Year's resolution." ~ Jay Leno

"Be always at War with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each New Year find you, a better person." ~ Benjamin Franklin

"If you asked me for my New Year Resolution, it would be to find out who I am." ~ Cyril Cusack

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas." ~ Anonymous

“Hope
Smiles from the threshold of the year to come,
Whispering 'it will be happier'...” ~ Alfred Tennyson

I do think New Year’s resolutions can’t technically be expected to begin on New Year’s Day, don’t you? Since, because it’s an extension of New Year’s Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year’s Day isn’t a good idea as you can’t eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second. ~ Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones’s Diary

New Year’s is a harmless annual institution, of no particular use to anybody save as a scapegoat for promiscuous drunks, and friendly calls and humbug resolutions. ~ Mark Twain

I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me. ~ Anais Nin

Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right. ~ Oprah Winfrey

And finally, may all who read this enjoy a fabulous New Year celebration, and may 2014 bring you good health, joy, prosperity and success. I said that.